Saturday, August 14, 2010

Patrick

Patrick is a 24 year old young man who grew up in small town America, Dresden, Ohio to be exact.  He is the youngest of 5 children and likely had the advantages of being the "baby".  Only the family knows for sure.  He does pretty much what every young man his age does, he lives on his own, holds a job, drives a car, plays video games, listens to rock music, goes out with friends, checks out the hotties while he's out with those friends, looks for that special "someone" who will fill his heart and life, drives his mom crazy and sometimes just wants to be left alone. He's a tall, slender dude with a cherubic round face and a dimple you could lose a pearl in!  Until recently he had hair to the midde of his back, which worked for him, and I can't say if he has tattoos or not - none of my business really.  Until recently Patrick was just like every other 24 year old going through the motions of growing up and searching for who he is.

All of that changed last year when Patrick learned he had leukemia.  He'd been bruising a bit more often than usual, experiencing the discomfort of bloody noses and decided maybe he should get things checked out.  The results weren't what anyone expected.  So, he started the regimens of chemo and vowed that he was going to "kick leukemia in the face".  He endured the bone aching exhaustion that chemo brings about, he cut his fabulously long hair and donated it before the leukemia forced him to lose it strand by strand.  He stepped out of what should have been a fun-filled life and turned himself over to doctors and technicians and nurses - strangers who gave him care and encouragement. He gained ground slowly, and through sheer will of effort, he put the leukemia in remission.

So why am I telling you this story today?  Because Patrick was one of my Michael's best buddies and he is the youngest brother of my beautiful daughter-in-law Sarah.  And because Patrick learned this past week, that the leukemia has returned.

Now when I see Patrick or hear of what's going on in his life, I remember the joy he and Michael shared as children.  Oh, they were ornery for sure!  In fact, it was through a note Patrick wrote to our family at   Michael's funeral that I learned of an escapade the two shared.  It was the day Michael got his driver's license.  He apparently went and picked up Patrick to take him for the first ride as a legal driver.  As Patrick explains in his note, they went "cruising" through Zanesville (a little burg in southeast Ohio).  Michael had a Firebird as his first car.  (Yeah, I know, what was I thinking!)  He loved that car, for all the reasons any 16 year old would love a Firebird.  Anyway ... apparently they decided to take a ride on 70E, the main highway between our area and Columbus.  As Patrick reports it, they had a great time and as a result of the ride, he knew what it was like to go 110 mph!  110 on the first day with his license ... had I known I would have taken those keys away and shredded that license!  But they both knew that, hence I never knew while Michael was alive!

Anyway, Patrick represents the good guys in life.  He is a true friend to those around him.  He lights up a room with his smile and his eyes sparkle. But some of that sparkle is gone.  He has endured too much for someone his age and I want it to stop!  I am a firm believer in the power of prayer and the impact of faith.  I want to see Patrick live a long life and be a daddy - if for no other reason than for his sons to pull some of the stunts on him that he and Michael pulled on Linda (Patrick's mom) and me! So, today as I wondered and stressed over what I could do to help Patrick, I decided that if the power of 1 prayer can make a difference, the power of thousands of prayers could really put a dent in this thing! 

So, I have reached out to my 650+ friends on Facebook and asked them to read this blog today.  I am asking everyone who reads it to raise up Patrick in your prayers, whatever your faith may be, and ask everyone on a prayer list, or a friend list to do the same. We need thousands and thousands of prayers flying heavenward to give Patrick the strength he needs to fight this thing one more time. I believe in Patrick  - he's a fighter, but every fighter needs someone in his corner.  Please help me fill Patrick's corner with love, hope, inspiration and strength.  He's not my son, but he touched my son's life and that's very important to me and I am thanful that their lives crossed.  I am grateful to everyone reading this, your prayers will make a difference. My thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Count me in Pam. Prayed now for Patrick and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick and his family as well as you and yours are in my prayers.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healing thoughts headed Patrick's way. Would Jason know him Pam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Tiff! It's likely that Jason knows Patrick as a result of hanging around with Michael. Patrick was a year behind them in school but that never mattered to Michael and likely didn't matter to Jason. Hope all is well with Jason - thanks for the update and congrats on his honors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up Up and away... Lord here my prayer.

    ReplyDelete