Thursday, August 12, 2010

Miles of Smiles

Have you ever driven somewhere and when you arrived you think "how did I get here?" or "wow, that was fast, I don't remember the drive at all!"  I have even had the experience where I've driven the same route everyday for so long that I don't notice things around me - like a new building that has suddenly sprung up! Suddenly?  Really? Don't think that's possible.  Well, for some reason, today I was keenly aware of my surroundings as I came to work.  Here's what I observed:

I noticed how the fog lay in layers across a field of corn creating the sense of being among the clouds. Dew was still clinging to the corn stalks that paraded in perfect rows and were close enough to the road to display their silken tops. A light breeze ruffled them making me think of ladies wearing hats with feathers.  A bit further down the road and around the curve, a doe stood guard over her fawn as she tentatively nibbled on grass that sparkled with the tentative rays of sun breaking through the cloud cover.  The doe raised her head, her eyes met mine for a fleeting second and the serenity of her attitude while watching her baby filled me with peace.

I continued on my journey, coming out of the rural landscape to highways leading to civilization.  I observed drivers staring straight ahead, glassy eyed as they reached for their styrofoam cups of whatever libation they need to get the blood pumping for their day.  No one was smiling, no one was interacting with anything but the thoughts held in the privacy of their mobile domain.  Most profoundly, no one seemed happy.  No one seemed to exude an energy that said "I can't wait for my day to unfold!"  A sadness came upon me, wiping away the calm I had experienced driving through the back roads.

The melancholy clings to me even now.  I wonder why we do this to ourselves.  Why do we go through the motions each day without recognizing what is around us?  Are we so jaded that we no longer appreciate God's creation and the wonder that is visible for us each day if we would simply take time to see?  Why is it that only the weekends bring us the moments of joy when we see nature at play?

I live in a wooded area and have the luxury of decks around my home that are at tree top level.  Over the past several weeks I have witnessed deer standing among the trees, peaking through leaves to observe me.  A skunk couple has recently moved into the neighborhood and I have watched them waddle their way through underbrush, checking on each other as they go to be sure the other is close by.  A racoon family recently took ownership of the fork in an old and stately oak tree. Mama racoon transports three babies up the trunk and places them in the crook of the tree and gathers them within her arms, simply to hug them, or so it appears.  Birds of all colors and sizes fly in pairs to visit the feeders that hang from my decks and the chatter tells me these are friends, this is their favorite restaurant, this is a morning ritual that is enjoyed.  I sit as quietly as I can and absorb the wonder.

I wish that we could all carry with us the joy of the weekend world as we go about our labors each day. A smile here and there, a nod of the head perhaps to that driver in the car in the next lane.  A gesture of greeting instead of a gesture of  rage when someone needs to get somewhere faster than you are choosing to travel.  It really isn't that hard, or at least it shouldn't be. 

Obviously, it has to start somewhere and with someone.  I'm going to take on that task.  I will not be a glassy eyed driver competing for the front spot at the traffic light.  I will enjoy my surroundings, I will bask in the glory of another day given to me.  I challenge each of you to do the same.  Notice something on your drive to the office, the doctor, the grocery - it doesn't matter - then please tell me about it!  I'd love to hear what is in your world each and every day!

2 comments:

  1. I am heading to Bear Lake today in Garden City,UT-with my YA YA girlfriends from Texas and yes- I will love every second of the drive all the way up the canyon! I just got back from Austin yesterday-beautiful city! I am having too much fun! Love your blog Pammy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed to live in northern Michigan, Traverse City to be exact. Only 2 hours to the Mackinaw bridge and the wonders of the U.P., just miles to "the big lake" (Michigan) and so many wonderful picture perfect places in THE world. I happen to live only blocks away from the West Grand Traverse Bay that leads into the big lake. It wraps itself around the city to the east and the Easy Bay, headed up north following Lake Michigan. I "have to" drive around the bay daily, sometimes many times as I run errands and go off to work.
    In 1992 my husband I decided to go west. We moved our 3 boys out to Laramie Wyoming. We lasted 8 months. Home sick for water and our family of course.
    The reason I am sharing this is because when I returned I vowed to ALWAYS Look toward the water and say to myself THIS is why I live here. To this day I do this EVERY TIME I drive by my beloved blue water. It makes me calm, and makes me ( every time) remember I live in Traverse City Michigan where people from around the world only wish they could live here.

    ReplyDelete