Thursday, September 16, 2010

Baby Pictures

I had the most incredible experience today - I watched an ultrasound of my future grandson!  What amazing technology!  I know I sound old and dated and all that, but remember, we didn't have ultrasounds when I was pregnant with my sons.  We never knew the gender before the birth and we had to actually count the fingers and toes the first time we held our child.  There was no "preview" of size or parts or size of parts!  We just waited with anticipation and enjoyed the surprise.

Anyway ... I was fortunate today to have been invited by my son and daughter-in-law to accompany her to an ultrasound.  I'm familiar with the technology and I've been awed by it in the past, but let me tell you, there is NOTHING like seeng your grandchild in the womb.  It puts a huge jolt into your system and you just sit and smile like an idiot!  I guarantee today wasn't much fun for Sarah, but I can't remember such a feeling of undiluted joy!

Now, as things go, our little boy was very relaxed today.  In fact, it appeared that he couldn't have cared less what was going on.  He was lying on his back with one hand behind his head.  His other hand was up close to his head, sort of like he was signaling for a taxi or a waiter.  At one point he had his little legs crossed at the ankles and I have a darling picture of his teeny-tiny foot!  It's about the size of my thumb, but you can clearly count 5 toes - no guesswork necessary!

We viewed the top of his head, followed his spine, measured his thigh and then hovered over his heart.  Oh my!!  What a miracle to see a heartbeat!!  And to hear it as well!  I could have watched and listened to that for hours.  And then he turned ever so slightly and we saw his beautiful, sweet face!  It brought tears to my eyes then and does again now as I write.  It makes him so real ... a child of my child.  Abolutely amazing! I thought being a mom was about the coolest thing ever, but I'm thinking this Grandma stuff could easily eclipse that feeling - sorry boys, but it's something you can't explain!

Anyway ... it was a day to witness God's greatest creation and gift to us, a child!  I have always said and taught that we should cherish each moment with our children.  They are on loan to us from God and only He chooses how long we get to be together.  So to have experienced seeing this little guy while he's still in there baking, is something that will live in my heart and my memory forever.  Sarah - you honor me by allowing me to see this miracle, thank you a million times over.  Andrew and Christopher - I love you with every fiber of my being, but you'd better prepare yourself - there's a new kid in town and he's stealing pieces of my heart!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Pam reading your comments brought me back to the two times when I was present (and helping) at the birth of my granddaughters who are now 8 and 17. What a joy! Congratulations to you and your family! Being a grandparent is such a JOY always!
    Connie Hawkey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I was lucky enough to be in the delivery room at the birth of my first grandchild and we just celebrated her 1st birthday at the beach last month. It is so much fun being a grandma. The hardest part is not living close enough to see her everyday, but thankfully we have Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I just read your notes about this precious little guy that is adding to your family. God is good! We have 6 g'kids and you are so right....our boys are BEYOND special to me but these g'kids, wholey cow, they are somethin' else! I couldn't be happier for you. Fun times ahead!

    Dian Felkins

    ReplyDelete